Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Juliet Braddock



Juliet is the author of "Weakened." It is a new erotica that I recently read and loved. Anyone that loves a read filled with emotion and passion should definitely pick this up! 


Against the glittering backdrop of New York City, budding theatrical publicist Maxine Kirk, fresh off the bus from a small Pennsylvania town, stumbles into the arms of her beloved teenage crush, unleashing desires that she never imagined.

Enter Drew McKenzie, a rising star on Broadway with dashing looks and talent to match, who masquerades behind the characters he portrays.

Instantly, Maxine finds herself lured into Drew’s high society world only to uncover a complicated man beneath the glitz and glamour of his public persona. As soon as the curtain falls, Drew sheds his stage costumes to reveal a daring Dominant side.

Titillated by his enigmatic life, Maxine clamors to discover a surreptitious and possibly perilous affair with Drew, all the while questioning her own preconceived notions on romance.

Secrets surface, revealing haunting truths that test both Maxine and Drew of their own intentions. But in this high-stakes game of trust, only the strongest survive. 

You can find our review of "Weakened" here and buy your own copy here. It is presently on sale for .99 cents (Amazon US only)! That's a pretty awesome deal!


So, we want to get to know our authors, and we want all of you to get to know them as well! As a result, Caitlin and I came up with a list of general questions to ask and here are Juliet's answers. We hope you love Juliet as much as I have come to. She is just the sweetest! 

1-  Did you always want to be a writer? 
In one word -- YES!  Even before I could actually write sentences as a small child, I would create stories and tell them verbally.  My mother realized that I had some sort of gift, and she bought me a child's typewriter when I was six for Christmas.  She encouraged me to write those stories down.  

For some reason--maybe it's the Libra in me--I always gravitated toward romance. I used to steal my grandmother's dirty books.  I read the teen romances in the 80s by Norma Klein and Judy Blume. And then I decided to start writing stories of my own--all of which focused around Duran Duran.  

Again, my mother always encouraged my writing, and when I went to college, I majored in journalism.  I've been writing professionally in a corporate sense throughout my entire career, and I've always written my own stories on the side. But I never took the leap to try and publish before now. 

2- What's your favourite book? 
Just one?  I would have to say A Grand Passion by Mary Mackey.  It was this sweeping saga of three generations of Russian ballerinas, their loves and their losses.  I read that book when I was a teenager, and it's one that has stuck with me over time.  I have my old copy of it, and i still read it again occasionally.  

3- What's your favourite children's book? 
Anything and everything by Shel Silverstein.  I can't tell you how many times I checked Where the Sidewalk Ends out of the children's library as a kid.  

4- What inspired this story line? 
My mother.  She passed away when I was 25, but she introduced me to New York, which is a character in and of itself in the book.  Having grown up in a small town, we'd always vacation in Manhattan.  I fell in love with the city at an early age, and I moved here when I was just 21 with nothing much but some dreams in my suitcase.

The sights, the sounds, even the scents of the city surround you constantly when you live in New York.  You can complain about it all, or you can embrace every corner of the city and find inspiration.  And that's what I've done.

Also, as a reader, I was, quite frankly, tired of reading about the standard entrepreneurial billionaire. My mother also inspired my love of the theater, and I thought, "What's more New York than a working Broadway actor?"  So I ran with that, too, in Drew's character.  I just love the whole notion of a theatrical production, and I have quite a few friends who do work in the theater.  So it's fun to pull form what I know...and it's fun to imagine what goes on behind the scenes... 

5- How did you make the choice between indie/self publishing and traditional publishing? 
I've worked in publishing, professionally, and things changed in the blink of an eye. Suddenly, everything went digital, which opened up an avenue for new writers to test the waters.  Support is only there for the major authors with the top publishing houses.  And I watched as all of that unfolded.  

My stories also tend to write themselves, and I often divert rather drastically form the initial storyline I initially created in my head.  I didn't want to have to be married to an outline.  I wanted that freedom to tell my stories as they unfolded in my head.  With self-publishing, you carry the full creative license.  It's actually quite liberating as an author.  

6- Can we expect to see more from you in the future? 
You bet!  WRAPPED, which is book two, will be out in early spring of next year.  KNOTTED will follow in the summer.  And quite possibly a fourth book in the series as well.  

7- Who has been your biggest supporter? 
My mother, even though she's gone now.  She was my greatest fan. 

8- What are your most and least favourite parts of being a writer? 
I love to escape--be it with a live show on Broadway, a book or even music that I love.  Writing is the ultimate escape.  I have the chance to create a little world that's outside of the realities of daily life.  That's truly my favorite part of being a writer.

As for the downside, it's hard work.  I say that I work two jobs--my corporate 9-6...and then I come home to pursue my other career.  It takes a dedication that most people don't realize.  I spend my nights writing, researching.  

And it's beyond the writing and the research.  It's building a website on your own.  It's taking pictures for your social media.  Developing promotions.  Advertising.  Marketing. Publicity.  When you self-publish, that all falls upon the author.  If I didn't write my own press materials, they wouldn't exist.  

9- What's been the biggest hurdle for you? 
My confidence.  Hearing from your bosses and best friends tell you that you know how to write is wonderful.  But stepping outside of your personal space and showing off your baby to the world is rough.  

10-What's your Pet peeve or share an embarrassing moment.
The MEN in my life!  Having to explain that I've written a naughty book of erotic romance to my closest male friends....both gay and straight.....AWKWARD...but funny.   

11- Who's your favourite disney princess? 
Whatever Princess my Goddaughter is dressed as!  :)  She embodies everything that a true Princess should be.  She's kind, courageous, smart, charmingly hilarious, and beautiful--inside and out.  And far wiser than her five years.  I wish everyone could be just like her.  I love her to infinity and beyond...

So, that wraps up this portion of our Author Spotlight. Please join us on our FB page on Sunday, December 14th at 4PM EST for Juliet's takeover! 



If you're interested in being spotlighted on our blog, please get in touch with us, and we can make something happen.

You can find us on Facebook! And you can follow Juliet, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment